There have been numerous rumors surrounding the iPhone 15 range, even though the handset won’t be released for another five months. The iPhone 15 Pro versions in particular are rumored to receive a number of upgrades and modifications, such as a titanium frame and more.
Here is a rundown of the 12 features that are rumored to be exclusive to the iPhone 15 Pro and not the iPhone 15 or iPhone 15 Plus:
- A17 chip: Models of the iPhone 15 Pro are likely to come with Apple’s next-generation A17 Bionic chip, which is made using TSMC’s 3nm process to improve speed and efficiency. The A16 Bionic chip is likely to be in both the iPhone 15 and the iPhone 15 Plus.
- eSIM-only expansion: MacGeneration says that types of the iPhone 15 Pro could only work with eSIMs in France. Apple took the SIM card tray out of iPhone 14 models in the U.S. for the first time last year.
- Wi-Fi 6E: A leaked schematic shows that the iPhone 15 Pro will support Wi-Fi 6E for faster wireless speeds, just like the new Macs and iPad Pro.
- Faster USB-C port: Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo says that the iPhone 15 Pro will have a USB-C port that supports at least USB 3.2 or Thunderbolt 3. This means that the devices will be able to send data over a cable much faster than current iPhones that use Lightning. Kuo said that the USB-C port on the regular iPhone 15 will still only support USB 2.0 speeds, just like the Lightning port.
- Increased RAM: Taiwanese research company TrendForce says that the iPhone 15 Pro models will have 8GB of RAM, while the standard models will likely still only have 6GB of RAM as they do now. With more RAM, apps like Safari can keep more content running in the background, so when the app is opened again, it doesn’t have to restart content.
- Titanium frame: The iPhone 15 Pro models are likely to have a titanium frame instead of stainless steel, just like the Apple Watch Ultra.
- Ultra-thin bezels: Like previous Apple Watch models, the iPhone 15 Pro will have curved edges around the screen that are very thin.
- Solid-state buttons: Ming-Chi Kuo says that the buttons on the iPhone 15 Pro will be solid-state. The expert said that the devices will have two more Taptic Engines that use haptic feedback to make the buttons feel like they are being pressed even though they don’t move. This is similar to how the Home button on the latest iPhone SE or the trackpad on newer MacBooks feels when you touch them.
- Increased optical zoom for iPhone 15 Pro Max: Kuo says that the iPhone 15 Pro Max will have a periscope zoom lens. This could give the device at least 6x optical zoom, which is more than the 3x zoom on the iPhone 14 Pro.
- Improved LiDAR Scanner: Sony will make LiDAR scanners for the iPhone 15 Pro that use less power. This could improve 3D depth scanning for AR apps and shots taken in Night mode, says Kuo.
- Action button: There are rumors that iPhone 15 Pro models will have an Action button like the Apple Watch Ultra. The button would replace the Ring/Silent switch, which has been on every iPhone model since 2007. Users would probably be able to assign the button to different system tasks, like Ring/Silent, Do Not Disturb, Flashlight, Low Power Mode, and more.
- Dark red color option: 9to5Mac says that iPhone 15 Pro models will be able to come in a dark red color.
Additional features may be rumored as the release date of the iPhone 15 Pro approaches.